Zinc Oxide In Mineral Makeup – 6 Reasons Why It Is Healthy Protection For Your Skin
Zinc Oxide, one of the key ingredients in mineral makeup, is beneficial for your skin in a number of ways.
So, you want to know what is in your mineral makeup, bit by bit, ingredient by ingredient? Is the ingredient safe? What does it do once it is on your face? In this spirit…
Let’s break it down! (Insert dance music here).
One of the key ingredients in mineral makeup is zinc oxide; and a good one it is!
What exactly is it?
Zinc oxide, a fluffy white powder, is an inorganic oxide, a mineral.
Why is it used?
In makeup it is used primarily as a colorant and a sunscreen agent. It also brings to the table, lubricating, thickening, whitening power, coverage and adhesion (the sticky-to-your-face so it doesn’t just fly away kind of adhesion).
You may very well ask, “What’s in it for me?”
- There is virtually no risk of skin irritation from zinc oxide.
- It is insoluble in water which gives it the lovely ability of staying on your skin even while swimming and sweating. Love that!
- It offers protection from the sun by sitting on top of the skin scattering and absorbing the harmful rays, both UVA & UVB.
- Because of its healing properties, it has been used to treat diaper rash, minor burns, and other minor skin irritations for years.
But wait, there is more! Zinc Oxide is:
- healing for rosacea & acne
- the broadest spectrum UVA, UVB & UVC absorber that is approved for use as a sunscreen by the FDA
- completely photo stable
- beneficial in reducing pre-mature aging of the skin & skin cancer due to it’s broad spectrum sunscreen
Are you sold yet? I am!
(For more information on ingredients in mineral makeup, click here.) You may also be interested in learning more about Titanium Dioxide, the partner ingredient to Zinc Oxide in Mineral Makeup.
Style Essentials. Always 100% Guaranteed.
Psst…FREE shipping on orders $50.00+ (U.S. Only)
Want a simple, honest mineral makeup, eco-beauty education? Add your name here.
And please do comment below. You make my day when you share your thoughts!